Last Minute Home Cleaning Tips for Thanksgiving
The week before Thanksgiving is the time that you begin to wonder why in the world you offered to host this family event last year. How did 51 weeks pass so quickly? Now there’s the shopping to do, and the school events, and picking people up from the airport, and airing out the guest rooms….and the cleaning. It might seem difficult to see how this will all get done with your already busy schedule, but we want to share a few tips with you today that might be helpful for last-minute cleaning:
- Kitchen Tips. Gather clutter together and put it in a laundry basket in the laundry room. Crisis cleaning is all about making things look tidy and forgetting about organization right at the moment. Spray the counters with cleaner and wipe down, and then attack the appliances, the sink bowl, and the faucets. Sweep or vacuum the floor, and spot clean. Spray air freshener. Check for any visible water damage or possible mold growth.
- Bathroom Tips. Turn the fan on to remove odors and use fragrant candles before guests arrive. Put cleaner in the toilet bowl and let it sit for a while, while cleaning mirrors and polishing chrome. Wipe down the counters and clean the toilet thoroughly. Replace all the towels with ones that are freshly washed and sweep the floor; spot clean here. Spray air freshener. Like the kitchen, check for mold growth or visible water damage.
- Guest Room Tips. Get rid of clutter by moving to the laundry area or a similar area of your home that guests will not frequent. Shake out curtains and change the sheets. Fluffing pillows will give the room a fresh look. Dust the furniture and don’t neglect the head and footboard of the bed. Polish reflective surfaces. Sweep or vacuum flooring, and spray air freshener. Scent sprayed onto a cool light bulb will freshen the room when the light is used. Fragrant candles are a nice touch here as well.
- Living Room Tips. Toss the clutter into the laundry basket and remove any trash. Straighten and fluff pillows and fold blankets. Wipe away food spills and dust the furniture, polishing reflective surfaces. Make sure you remove pet hair with a damp cloth from seating and eating areas, especially. Move furniture to look neat and regular; this adds to the overall clean and neat look of the room. Vacuum or sweep the flooring, and spot clean. Spray air freshener.
- Entryway Tips. First impressions are made here, so take care that it looks great. Shake off the Welcome mat, and polish the reflective surfaces. Sweep the front step, and clan all glass. Remove shoes and clutter from this area and place out of view.
- Finishing Touch Tips. Empty all the trash bins throughout the house. Add a hospitality touch to the guest room by providing tissues, reading materials, and a water carafe with glass. For a welcoming scent when guests arrive, simmer two cups of water, two whole cloves, a cinnamon stick, and half an apple, orange, or lemon on the stove for an hour or so beforehand.
- Start Cooking!
Here at SERVPRO of Huron & East Seneca Counties, we wish you the best 2018 holiday season ever! If you live in the greater Huron area, including Gibsonburg, Attica, Bloomville, or other surrounding areas, we are here to help with all of your water damage, fire damage, or mold growth restoration needs.