Do I Need To Worry About Mold In The Winter?
The short answer here is: Yes. But...
Mold is a serious issue, and it can get worse in the wintertime when damp conditions are common. The melting of snow and ice or heavy rain, paired with warm indoor temperatures, create the perfect conditions for the establishment of a mold colony. Mold spores are all around us in the air at all times, and it is difficult to completely remove them once they take hold; however, if you take early action, that mold growth can be stopped, and you can stop worrying!
Here are some preventative measures you can take to ensure that mold won’t be a source of worry this winter:
- Pipes can be a source of moisture, and if they freeze and burst that causes flooding and saturation of flooring and belongings. Keep your pipes well-insulated to avoid this situation.
- Control moisture by drying leaks and any other wet areas immediately. Vacuum and clean regularly to remove sources of mold growth.
- Gutters and downspouts should be cleaned regularly to avoid excess water in your walls or attic spaces.
- Adequate air circulation and ventilation is important, and using fans can help increase ventilation.
- Well-insulated walls can not only prevent condensation and mold within your walls, but it will also cut down on your energy costs.
- Make sure your doors and windows are properly sealed and that moisture is not coming in through the cracks, and make any necessary repairs to these areas as soon as you can to avoid leaks.
- If there is a room in your home or business that is prone to humidity, using a dehumidifier to counter that might be a helpful step to take.
If you take these steps to prevent mold growth in your business, your chances of it occurring will greatly decrease and then you really won’t have to worry about mold! It is easier to take action early to prevent it than having to remove it. However, even with taking preventative steps, it is not 100% guaranteed that it will not grow. Mold growth can be dangerous, and if you spot any in your business, call the professionals!
To guarantee that mold growth doesn’t endanger your business, be sure to contact us at SERVPRO of Huron & East Seneca Counties for assistance. We are experts at mold removal and remediation and can handle your mold issues quickly and professionally. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too. Ask us how!