Steps To Take After A Tree Falls From Storm Damage
As trees age, they can become unstable, and during a storm, they can easily become weakened and even fall. A large tree can cause a lot of damage, depending on where they land, or they can create a big mess with a lot of debris. Here are some steps to take after a tree falls from storm damage at your home or business.
- Consider Safety. If the tree fell on a building, take care of anyone inside first. Clear all people and pets away from the area so that you can be sure everyone is as safe as possible. Assess the situation and see if there is a possibility that the tree is in a position to do any more damage. Check to see if there are any fallen electrical cords or wiring. If there are, you will want to call both 911 and the area electrical company to come to take care of that right away.
- Damage Assessment. Take a good look at the event itself to see if the tree has damaged any structures or public property. You will want to record the event by taking pictures or videos for your insurance company; just be sure to stay clear of any dangerous areas.
- Determine Liability. Get an idea of whose tree it is and whose property is involved. Even if it is your neighbor’s tree, your insurance policy will be the one that covers the damage. Do take steps to contact your insurance company and make sure you understand the coverage and what they require.
- Insurance. Contact the insurance company after you have gone through the previous steps and give them a description of the event and all your evidence. They will advise you as to what happens next.
- Tree Removal. After you have worked with the insurance representative and this aspect is all taken care of, you can arrange for the tree to be removed. Your insurance company may have provided you with a list of trustworthy companies or they may have given you the latitude to find your own. If you are in the market for a disaster restoration company, remember that SERVPRO is always ready to help!
We’re available 24/7 here at SERVPRO of Huron and East Seneca Counties to help with restoration and cleanup at your home and business, so whether you have experienced water damage, fire damage, accidents of any kind, or have discovered a mold invasion, contact us right away. We can get you back to normal right away. We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, too - ask us how. This franchise is independently owned and operated.