How Can You Prevent Fires In Your New London Business?
You’ve invested your time, energy, and finances into your New London business, and as a successful business owner, you know that protecting your investment is vital to your success. An essential facet of protecting your New London commercial endeavor is understanding the steps you need to take to safeguard that endeavor from any disaster, including fires. Prevention is, of course, the very first step in fire safety. Let’s talk about some ways you can prevent fires in your business.
What Are Some Important Tools To Use To Avert Fires At Your New London Commercial Location?
- FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, SPRINKLERS, AND ALARMS. Each of these tools is required to be installed at your location. Fire extinguishers should be stored no more than 75 feet from all work areas for easy access and mounted in a prominent spot. Have licensed fire prevention professionals test and service your extinguishers, sprinkler system, and fire alarm system every 12 months or less.
- EMERGENCY EXITS. Illuminated EXIT signage should have a battery backup in case of power outages and be maintained in good working order at all times.
What Are Some Best Practices You Can Put In Place Around Your New London Business To Keep It Fire-Safe?
- STORAGE. Stored materials should be stacked at least two feet below the ceiling in an orderly manner. Eighteen inches of clearance from the sprinkler system is required; this allows smoke to collect in areas above all items and gives the sprinklers a clear space for their spray pattern, enabling water to reach flames. These instructions have been put in place by area fire personnel and, if not complied with, can result in fines.
- SAFE OUTLET USE. Electrical outlets should only support the appropriate number of items, including a power strip with a circuit breaker; overloaded outlets can often catch fire. All electrical cords should be kept in good repair and replaced whenever they are no longer safe to use.
- PREMISES. The emergency exit areas and spaces around your building need to be kept clear of debris and plant material to allow everyone to get out of the building with no mishaps. This practice reduces the risk of fire outside, as well. Trash receptacles need to be kept at least five feet away from combustible roofs, windows, and entryways and away from exit pathways.
- EMERGENCY CONTACTS. The address numbers for your building or suite need to be highly visible so that emergency responders can find your location quickly and easily in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- FIRE SAFETY IN A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN. If your business is a commercial kitchen, make sure stove hoods, stovetops, ovens, and grease traps are cleaned regularly and thoroughly to prevent excessive grease buildup. Ceiling exhaust fans and bathroom heater/light/fan combinations can also pose a risk due to dust and grease buildup, resulting in increased operating temperatures.
The SERVPRO of Huron & East Seneca Counties team is experienced in restoring your New London home or business after a fire. We can also help with what you may need in the event of flooding and water damage, and we are equipped to handle mold remediation, odor removal, and more.
This franchise is individually owned and operated.