Keeping Your Hotel Mold-Free
Mold is unsightly and unhealthy, and it can cost your hotel business. Today, we are sharing some steps you can take to mold-proof your motel or hotel business so your guests can truly enjoy their stay with you.
- IDENTIFY PROBLEM AREAS. Do an audit of your business premises to identify the problem areas. Are the windows in some rooms frequently damp? Are there any persistent leaks in ceilings or hallways? Preventing mold from taking hold and spreading can be as simple as ripping up carpet or using mold-resistant cleaning and renovation products, or just cleaning out rain gutters. If you are in need of mold inspection services, SERVPRO of Huron and East Seneca Counties is available to assist you in your mold inspection and mold remediation needs!
- KEEP THINGS DRY. Mold growth can’t occur without moisture, so take care of wet areas immediately. Seepage after heavy rainfalls or melting snow and ice, or even carpet spills or minor flooding due to broken pipes, etc. need to be fully dried within 24 to 48 hours. Make sure any bedding and furniture that may have been affected are either completely dried or removed from the area to prevent the need of mold remediation services.
- VENTILATION. Make sure all your staff members are educated as to good practices in mold prevention. All areas need to be properly ventilated, from the kitchen to the on-site laundry, if you have one. Your housekeeping staff needs to be trained to keep a lookout for leaking AC units in guest areas, and everyone should know what to look for in break areas, bathrooms, and other areas where they work daily. Dehumidifiers might be appropriate to use, especially in more humid regions or during very wet seasons in your area to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- KEEP A WEATHER EYE OUT. Regular inspection of exterior doors, windows, and roofing can expose any leaks or improper fits right away. Even the smallest leaks can, over time, cause a mold issue that can be difficult to eradicate.
- GREEN STUFF. Do you use live plants in your decorating scheme? We know they are beautiful and useful, too; they help to purify the air of indoor spaces, which is always helpful. However, they can also accumulate mold on their leaves and in their pots. Make sure that part of their regular care involves checking for mold. Natural food stores carry products that can be added to water for your plants to keep excess moisture down while being safe for the environment.
- RESISTING MOLD. When it comes time to repair or renovate, keep in mind that there are many mold-resistant products on the market today, such as drywall or Sheetrock. Many paints now include mold-inhibitors, which are a great asset in the battle. Some cleaning products can be a benefit, as well in preventing mold growth.
Here at SERVPRO of East Huron & Seneca Counties, we are experts when it comes to water damage, fire damage, and mold remediation, and are here for all of your emergency service needs. We are also available for any mold inspection needs that you have in the Seneca areas.