Mold Prevention Tips for Your Kitchen
Your kitchen is one of the most susceptible areas of the house when it comes to mold growth since there is water in use here on a daily basis. Practicing preventive measures will ensure that you don’t develop a mold issue in one of the busiest rooms in your home.
The kitchen has a higher moisture level than most of the other rooms in your house, and surfaces both visible and out of the way can become moldy quickly if not kept dry. Once mold has established a hold on an area, it can come back even more quickly every time the humidity rises and make life miserable.
Here are some tips to preventing mold:
- Paint your kitchen with mold-resistant paint. Products of this type are readily accessible at your local hardware or home goods store. This is also a good practice for bath areas, as well.
- When doing any type of repair or renovation in this area, check with a professional to find any available products that contain mold-resistant ingredients.
- Avoid standing water in this area of the home. During floor cleaning, use less water than you might otherwise, and always dry off counter tops after cleaning, paying special attention to cracks and crevasses. Inspect underneath sinks and in cabinets on a regular basis and look for buckling woodwork or discolorations - both are telltale signs of water damage.
- As with all windows in your home, ensure that all weather stripping is in good repair in advance of bad weather.
- Keep an eye on older refrigerators for leaks from hoses and pipes leading to walls. Move them away from the wall periodically and clean behind and underneath them and take a good look while you are back there. This is a place where mold loves to hide and grow.
- Ensure your kitchen area is well ventilated; you can always use a dehumidifier if you feel it will be beneficial.
Keeping mold out of your kitchen will contribute to a clean and pleasant space for the preparation of food and for entertaining and socializing. After all, the kitchen is the heart of a home!
Here at SERVPRO of Huron and East Seneca Counties, we have the expertise necessary to help you with any mold damage or preventive practices. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage. Call us today at (419) 443-1790, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Huron and East Seneca Counties