Storm-Proofing My Basement: What Do I Need To Know?
If you own a Bellevue home with a basement, you may not have considered this area vulnerable to storms. It's underground, after all!
The reality is that if your basement isn't water-tight, a storm can wreak all kinds of havoc down there. Even if your basement is unfinished and used for laundry or storage, flooding or other weather-related damage can cause costly issues for you.
What IS storm-proofing? Storm-proofing means taking the safety precautions necessary to protect your home from the damage blizzards and ice storms often cause.
As storm damage restoration experts, the SERVPRO team can recommend helpful prevention so you don't have to worry. Keep reading to learn more!
How Do I Prevent Weather-Related Damage To My Bellevue Basement?
Basements and cellars need to be regularly inspected during wet weather since they have several easy entry points for water. Flooding will always be possible if heavy rainfall occurs during a storm or the building is near a body of water such as a lake or river. Look for cracks in your basement's foundation, ceiling, and walls.
Here are some preventive steps you can take to protect your Bellevue basement from storm damage:
- Ensure that the basement or cellar area doors and windows are adequately sealed against wet conditions. Entries and stairs are also potential problem areas; ensure they are free of standing water and debris so people don't get hurt.
- Take steps to ensure that water is drained away from the foundations of your buildings. Standing water in these areas can create weaknesses in walls and foundational elements, eventually allowing water to leak into your basement.
- If you use machinery involving water in your basement, ensure you keep these items in good repair. A cracked hose or a malfunctioning pump can release large amounts of water in a short period, and if you don't visit your basement often, you could end up with some issues due to standing water, such as severe corrosion or mold.
How Is SERVPRO Equipped To Handle Storm Damage In Bellevue?
If your basement becomes damaged after a storm and you've done everything you can to mitigate the damage, call us!
- The SERVPRO team is highly trained in the restoration of water damage, including the odor removal and deodorization steps that shouldn't be ignored post-storm. If you need experienced restoration professionals you can trust, SERVPRO is the company to call!
- Our advanced technology makes restoration efficient and seamless! From our infrared cameras to industrial-grade dehumidifiers, we'll always come prepared when you call us onto the scene of any emergency.
- Our 24/7 emergency service ensures we will get you back to normal in record time. Water damage doesn't take long to set in and become mold, so acting quickly is critical! Learn more about our water damage restoration services here.
SERVPRO of Huron & East Seneca Counties has over 50 years of experience handling storm damage cleanup and restoration. We provide anything from the subsequent mold damage post-flood to odor removal and carpet cleaning services after a storm.
SERVPRO offers the comfort of working with a locally owned and operated company with residential storm damage and commercial storm damage resources you can only find within a nationally renowned franchise. If you need us to mitigate storm damage and conduct the post-flood cleanup process, contact us at (419) 443-1790. SERVPRO is here for Bellevue residents this winter storm season!
This franchise is independently owned and operated.